Sunday, January 13, 2013

Toddler Fruit Salad

Keeping picky eaters interested in food is a constant challenge. Anytime I come up with a recipe that my son actually likes, I feel like sharing it with all the struggling mommies out there! This one is definitely a winner in my house. Mothers of picky eaters unite! Ok, I'm a nerd.

It's an extremely basic fruit salad using ingredients we almost always keep stocked. You can substitute any component of this salad to suit your child's preferences. I've found that this combo makes for a fresh and crunchy treat that is not too sweet (pardon the rhyme).

Toddler Fruit Salad

1 cup green seedless grapes
1 cup Old Home vanilla yogurt
Banana
Fuji apple
1/4 cup Natures Path Hemp and Flax Granola

Preparation

Wash all your fruit thoroughly. I like to use a large bowl with cold water and a squirt of white vinegar.

Make sure to cut grapes horizontally and vertically with a sharp knife to prevent choking. I like to use the green seedless variety because they are not mushy and add a crisp tangy flavor. The grapes should comprise the bulk of your salad.

Next peel your apple (you can leave it on if your kids don't mind but I find the texture to be annoying) Stand it upright and slice all four sides off of the core. Lay the sides flat and cut very thin slices (1/4"). Keep together, turn sideways and cut to make tiny apple bits. The trick is to keep them small so your kids don't pick them out.

As for the banana, you don't want the chunks too small or they will just get squished in the yogurt. I cut the banana in half lengthwise, turn both pieces on their side and cut again following the curve of the fruit. Holding all four pieces together I then slice horizontally to get perfect little chunks.

Put all fruit in a bowl and fold yogurt in gently with a rubber spatula until coated. Sprinkle with granola (careful for any large chunks) and serve!

I'm pretty sure this would hold up at least a couple days in the fridge if you omit the granola until serving. Honestly, I have not been able to test this out because my kids eat the whole batch in one day!









No comments:

Post a Comment