Monday, January 14, 2013

Mickey Mouse Birthday Party!

My son turned 2 this fall, and I wasn't even sure if I wanted to have a party.  I thought I would just have the grandparents over, but then an aunt expressed interest in attending.  We decided to extend the invite to all of our brothers and sisters.  Since my husband and I collectively have 8 siblings (including their families), our quaint get-together turned into a party!  

I let my almost 2-year-old son choose the theme for his birthday.  We narrowed it down to Nemo, Elmo and Mickey Mouse.  It was a tough decision, but he eventually settled on Mickey Mouse!  

Let the planning begin!

I scoured Pinterest for ideas.  I decided to narrow my theme a little more and went with just yellow, red, black and white colors.  I felt like it made everything a bit more cohesive.  I came across this super cute wreath at Confessions of a Plate Addict.  While I would have loved to spend 4 hours making a wreath like this blogger, it just wasn't feasible.  I settled for a simpler version, yet using the same idea she had!  The yellow portion is just wrapped in ribbon.  I made a mini-banner that says "Welcome!"  I couldn't find my wreath hook, so I had to get a little creative with hanging it.  I definitely recommend the $5 wreath hook!!!


 Although it's not as important as a '1st Birthday Cake', cake is cake and I wanted something cute! Again, lack of time ruled my final decision on what to do, but I think it was still pretty awesome!  (My son loved it and that's what counts, right?!)  I pre-ordered the cupcakes and had them just do white frosting with red and yellow colors and sprinkles.  I  bought a piece of scrapbook paper for 99 cents at Michael's.  It had a bunch of square pictures of Mickey Mouse characters on it.  I cut out just the Mickey Mouse ones.  I taped each square to a tooth pick, stuck them in random cupcakes and voila!  

(Confession:  The morning of the party, i drove to four different stores because I forgot where I ordered it from.  Sad, right?  Hehe!)


My mantel was not even considered for being part of the decorating until I stumbled across this cute set up over at Kara's Party Ideas.  I bought more scrapbook paper that was actually Mickey Mouse themed!  I made a template for the triangle with a piece of cardboard, then I traced a bunch of triangles for the banners.  I used a paper hole punch to make two holes at the top of each triangle.  (Don't do one hole or the triangles won't hang flat).  Then, I just strung them up on a piece of yarn and taped to my mantel!  The "M" was $1 from Michael's that I painted yellow with my son's Tempura paint, and the mickey mouse stuffed animal is my son's.  ( I was very lucky that he didn't seem to mind his stuffed animal was out of reach all day!)  We also had a banner outside on tables and deck rails.  (Not pictured).



I had plates, napkins and plasticware set up in a little holder I bought from Target for half off at the end of summer.  It saved space as opposed to having all of that laying out on table.  This left room for more treats!


The idea for center pieces came from somewhere, but I don't remember where!  (That's what I get for blogging way after party!)  I bought these clay pots from Home Depot for $2 each.  I painted the top black, bottom red and glued on little white buttons to look like the classic pants Mickey wears.  I used scrapbook paper again to make the little signs.  I used a Sharpie marker and copied each letter to look like the classic Disney font.  (I just Googled "Disney font" under the 'Images' search).  I attached the little signs to wooden skewers.  I made two per skewer so I could just glue the little signs back to back over skewers.  This way, there wasn't a "back" to the signs.  I used candy to fill pot and placed skewers inside!


My husband made little labels for the water bottles.  They say "Happy 2nd Birthday!"  He printed on rectangular stickers.  You could also buy plain white name tags and write on them yourself.  If your kiddo is old enough, you can have THEM design and color the water bottle labels!


This picture is hard to see, but it reads, "Happy 2nd Birthday".  The red circles are from plain red construction paper.  The end circles have little black Mickey ears on them.  I drew that free-hand on black construction paper before cutting out.  (It took a few tries!)  I bought the polka-dot letter stickers from a scrap-booking store.  I hung this banner the same way I hung the banner on my mantel.  (Two hole per circle, yarn and tape).

I bought the Mickey Mouse shirt at Target!


I Googled "Mickey Mouse pumpkin carving template" to find a print out to carve this pumpkin for our front step.  My son LOVED his Mickey Mouse pumpkin!


Probably my favorite part was these adorable Mickey Mouse invitations I found over at Etsy!  They were so cheap, and the girl who made them sent them very quickly!  

Have fun planning your little one's party!  We had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment