Saturday, December 8, 2012

DIY: Elf Hats

Happy Holidays Mommies! 

So as the obsessed repurposer (I'm officially making this a word!) that I am, I refused to buy props for our XMAS photo shoot. I needed to avoid walking through Target looking for elf hats and checking out with $100 worth of crap I saw on the way! Sound familiar? So I decided to work with what I have at home. 

To start with, I raided my husbands closet for beanies. I found a burgundy and an olive green beanie. He won't even notice they're missing. Then I started to hunt for any fabric item that might resemble an Elf ear. This is when I came across a stash of boobie pads in my bra drawer. Thank goodness for my hoarder tendencies. Most people throw away those obnoxious pads that come in bikinis, not me! I grabbed two ball ornaments for hat tips and some felt and pom poms for embellishments. The rest is history. 


You will need:

a beanie
2 boobie pads (you can use beige felt circles too)
plastic ball ornament (or what ever else you have for the hat tip)
2 red pom-poms for holly berries
green felt for holly leaves


Note: The pom-poms and felt I purchased at the dollar store. I am a big fan of dollar store craft supplies. You just have to know what to buy.

Instructions:

First you need to fold the pads so that they resemble ears. Then fold the beanie brim over and tuck the ear in place. Sew through the brim and ear until it is firmly in place. Repeat on other side.




Next take your ornament and sew it to the tip of the hat. Pinch the sides of the beanie around the base of the ornament hook and sew them close together. This way you only see the ornament and the hook part is folded up in the top of the hat.

At this point you can decorate your elf hat. Cut two holly leaves out of the green felt and tuck them into the brim. Place the pom-poms on the outside of the prim, over the holly leaf bases. Sew through the pom-poms, brim, and leaves. Once they are secure, your Elf hat is done. Voila! The resourceful mommy strikes again.




Vera


No comments:

Post a Comment